A comprehensive oral exam refers to the extensive evaluation and recording of all intraoral and extraoral soft tissues through visual and digital examination using an intra-oral camera and X-rays to detect teeth deterioration, new cavities, potential issues in dental work, and gum/bone recession. Dr. Turnbull will also check for signs of abnormalities throughout your face and neck, lips, tongue and other internal mouth surfaces.
The American Dental Association recommends every new patient to undergo a comprehensive dental exam on their first visit, and every 3 years thereafter. This type of exam takes an entire appointment. Following is an outline of what is included:
Your dentist will perform:
- Dental Exam (teeth)
- Periodontal exam (gum/bones supporting the teeth)
- Mouth, Head and Neck Cancer Exam
- Occlusal Exam (analysis of the bite)
- TMJ Exam (analysis of the jaw joints)
- Radiographic Exam (X-rays and various scans)
- Salivary Function Exam
- Esthetic Exam (assessing how the appearance of teeth and gums affect the face)
It’s vital for a patient’s long-term treatment and overall health that a comprehensive dental examination is performed at the start of a patient-dentist relationship. This exam is also recommended prior to:
- A cosmetic dentistry procedure
- Implant restoration
- New dentures
- Updating old dental restorations
If you have been previously diagnosed with a health problem, Dr. Turnbull may also recommend a comprehensive dental exam.
Hours of Operation
Monday - Thursday: 7.40 am to 4.30 pm
Fridays by appointment
Daniel Turnbull, D.D.S.
1148 Executive Circle, Ste 1
Cary, NC 27511